How to clean Invisalign trays?
Invisalign is a clear aligner teeth straightening system that can move your teeth into an optimal alignment. It provides a more comfortable & flexible solution to achieve a straighter smile than traditional braces. Generally, an Invisalign wearer should replace the appliance every 2 weeks. Even though the aligners are disposable, it is crucial to keep them clean and germ-free.
The Invisalign trays can trap microbes so that they will become a breeding ground for bacteria. Moreover, the clear aligners can get stained easily. It means you should keep the teeth straightening appliance clean else you have to wear a dirty & filthy set of aligners on your teeth every day.
Here, our Orthodontists have shared the essential tips to clean the Invisalign trays.
How often should you clean your Invisalign?
Keep in mind that the effectiveness of Invisalign treatment depends on how well you care for the teeth straightening appliance. Hence you should know the do’s and don’ts in cleaning the invisible align trays.
For instance, removing the aligners while eating or drinking beverages is mandatory. Similarly, you should wash your mouth thoroughly after meals. Dentists recommend these to avoid stains and the food debris piling up in the clear trays. Likewise, you should clean your aligner trays daily.
Remember that you should purchase a cleaning kit designed specially for Invisalign. You have to use the gadgets in the kit as per the instructions provided. Here are the essential Invisalign hygiene practices we prescribe to our patients:
- Clean your aligners thoroughly while brushing.
- Rinse your aligners with a cup of water before going to sleep.
- Brush the Invisalign tray with a soft-bristled toothbrush.
- Use lukewarm water to clean or rinse the Invisalign.
- Use antibacterial soap the clean the aligners.
- Keep the appliance in a protective case whenever you do not wear it to safeguard it from outside contaminants.
If you notice stains in the clear trays, do the following activities:
- Use a gentle, clear liquid soap to clean the stubborn stains in the tray.
- Dissolve cleaning crystals in a cup of lukewarm water and soak the aligners in it.
- Mix white distilled vinegar and lukewarm water in a 1:1 ratio. Keep your Invisalign in the mixture for around 20 to 30 minutes. Then brush the appliance gently and rinse with water.
- You can also soak the invisible brace in the mixture of hydrogen peroxide and warm water to disinfect the stain and harmful oral microbes.
It is not enough to rinse your Invisalign 2 to 3 times a day. Even though rinsing makes the appliance clean, it cannot meet the oral bacteria stuck to the trays. Hence Orthodontists recommend a variety of options like antibacterial soap, cleaning crystals, hydrogen peroxide, and others for sterilization.
What are the cleaning agents you should avoid for Invisalign care?
Some oral hygiene appliances seem beneficial but are hard on clear aligners. You should aware of such products and isolate them from your Invisalign cleaning activities. Here are a few:
- Toothpaste – The abrasive compounds in toothpaste will damage the clear trays. Hence you should use gentle formula toothpaste to clean Invisalign.
- Mouthwash – Mouthwashes consist of harsh ingredients, artificial colors. Rinsing or cleaning Invisalign with such fluids will damage and stain the appliance.
- Scented soaps
- Cleansing soaps (even it is organic)
- Denture cleaners
Similarly, avoid hot water to clean Invisaligns because it will deform the clear trays.
Invisalign will ensure you a new aligned smile. Unlike other dental braces, the clear aligners do not interfere with your diet, oral hygiene activities. Even though the clear aligners are replaced with a new one at regular intervals throughout the treatment, you should keep them clean. It is because clean teeth plus clean aligner makes the teeth straightening treatment fruitful.
Leave a Reply