Dental Benefits of Green Tea
Green tea has always been very well known for its myriad health benefits and is one of the healthiest beverages on the planet. Traditionally consumed in India and China for its medicinal properties right from weight loss to controlling diabetes, it has entered the mainstream market with a rapid increase in popularity in recent years. Some key facts of consuming green tea are that –
- It is a zero calorie beverage when
consumed without sugar. Combined with low caffeine, it is a refreshing change
to the regular consumption of black tea.
- It is a very good anti-oxidant and
aids in anti-ageing.
- There are a couple of chemicals in
green tea like polyphenols that are reputed for their anti-toxin properties.
Speaking about oral health
, green tea is very helpful in ensuring that your gums and teeth stay healthy. Not only does green tea contribute to stronger gums, but it also plays a huge role in killing the bacteria present in your mouth. Here is what regularly consuming green tea could do to your oral health -They strengthen your tooth and help prevent loss of teeth, especially in old age – The presence of substances like catechin ensures that there is no proliferation of bacteria and prevents cell damage, which in turn strengthens the tooth enamel. Streptococcus mutan is the primary bacteria present in your oral region. Catechins not only eliminate this bacteria, but it also prevents the formation of plaque in the region.
- Green tea contains components that greatly aids in inflammation – The polyphenols in green tea reduce inflammation. Research has also shown that consumption of green tea in regular quantities would also reduce the chances of periodontal disease.
- Reduces bad breath – Bad breat is an issue that we have all faced at some point. Green tea is well known for its ability to reduce the bad odour from your mouth. By killing the microbes that cause bad odour, green tea is a must-have if you are suffering from bad breath. Studies have also shown that green tea outranks the famed chewing gum in getting rid of bad breath.
- Enhances your oral health and prevents cancer – Yes, you read it right. The antioxidants and a myriad of other substances in green tea help combat oral cancer and other serious ailments. The components not only prevent the progression of cancer, but also help lead a healthy lifestyle.
Tips to drink green tea
Green tea can be consumed in a myriad of ways.
It is vital that you prep the tea properly for maximum effect. To have the best
effect on your oral health, avoid using a sweetener in your drink and boil the
water for a solid 2-3 minutes and pour it in the tea leaves. The presence of
sugar/honey would negate the effect of green tea on your dental health.
In conclusion, the benefits of green tea for
your health is immense. Start slow and you would be surprised to see the pros
that regular green tea consumption would cause to your oral health.
are you waiting for?
Leave a Reply