Few post care tips to be followed after root canal treatmentRoot canal treatment is a treatment that is normally performed when a patient’s teeth is severely damaged or in a state of decay. The operation involves removal of the pulp and nerves resulting in the need for a good post operative care.
What happens during the procedure?The tooth pulp is removed during the procedure to prevent proliferation of the bacteria in the mouth. In some cases, the presence of a pulp or a nerve in the tooth may even cause the occurrence of pus, thus making its removal a priority. The entire procedure might take 1 or 2 dental visits. The procedure has a very high rate of success and is time-tested. Here, in this article, let us talk about a few post care tips that needs to be followed immediately after the completion of a root canal treatment.
- For the first couple of days after the procedure, your teeth might feel sensitive due to inflammation/pain. It is vital that you avoid consuming very hot/cold food substances during this time frame.
- If you are suffering from post-operative pain, you can buy ibuprofen or an equivalent pain killer from over the counter. Check with a dental professional if you are allowed to take stronger painkillers.
- Try to avoid consuming solid food or crispy food that may involve a lot of chewing. This is vital to prevent the vulnerable teeth from getting damaged.
- If your dental filling is damaged in some way or the other, refer your dentist as soon as possible.
- If you have a swelling in the affected oral region, you ought to consult your dentist as soon as possible to resolve the issue. Also apply ice packs in the affected region.
- Avoid drinking or consuming food that is rich in sugar.
- Maintain a good oral hygiene by brushing and flossing regularly.
- Your teeth and gums might feel sore. So try to consume a liquid or a semi liquid diet at least for 48 hours immediately after the procedure.
- Reach out to your dentist if your bite feels uneven or you suffer from an allergic reaction after the procedure.
- If you have any complications arising from the procedure like a faulty dental restoration or a crack in the teeth, consult your dentist immediately.